Career development is the lifelong process of managing learning, work, leisure, and transitions in order to move toward a personally determined and evolving preferred future.
There are few things as important as having a career development plan when it comes to excelling in life and accelerating in your chosen field. It is vital that you have a clear sense of the direction you would like to head with your career. Career planning is a critical step and is essential to your success not something you want to skip over. The purpose of a career development plan is to help you reach your goals. Everyone has aspirations in life and specific levels they would like to reach. Part of the planning process actually entails you developing specific career goals and mapping out a course on how to best reach them.
In education development carrier development provides a very great role towards personal development as it provides a person with a ground of opting or choosing a carrier or subject to undertake in the future. It has been witnessed to most of the secondary school students fail to choice which subjects should they opt to drop or continue with and not only secondary students even the form four and six graduates fail to opt for courses in colleges and universities because they lack exposure on what they intend to undertake.
In educational development the study of career development looks at:
- How individuals manage their careers within and between organizations and,
- How organizations structure the career progress of their members, it can also be tied into succession development within most of the organizations.
In personal development, career development is:
- The total constellation of psychological, sociological, educational, physical, economic, and chance factors that combine to influence the nature and significance of work in the total lifespan of any given individual.
- The evolution or development of a career – informed by
- (1) Experience within a specific field of interest (with career, job, or task specific skills as by-product)
- (2) Success at each stage of development
- (3) educational attainment commensurate with each incremental stage
- (4) Communications (the capacity to analytically reflect your suitability for a given job via cover letter, resume, and/or the interview process)
- (5) understanding of career development as a navigable process.
- The lifelong psychological and behavioral processes as well as contextual influences shaping one’s career over the life span. As such, career development involves the person’s creation of a career pattern, decision-making style, and integration of life roles, values expression, and life-role self-concepts.”
By setting goals, understanding how you will reach them, finding something you love, and finding a balance between work and play will allow you to reach a level of happiness people only dream about. Manage your career – set your course for success with a career development plan. Dreams do come true.